Saturday, August 1, 2009

Then and now....

I have had a passion for food my whole life or at least as far back as I can remember(for those who know me will find that amusing). I was the child in school who ate the green beans that came with the school lunch and chose PB&J over pizza. I was the teenager that gave her best friend her lunch money as a trade off for her homemade lunch just because it tasted better. Now, I am the adult who loves bacon and chooses to grate potatoes by hand even though I have lost chunks of my fingers; all because it just tastes better.

With all this craziness inside me, I decided to enroll in culinary school in New York(gasp!). It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I loved every minute of it. Even when I was getting burned, never doing a good med dice and accidentally causing a giant fireball while deglazing my pan; I was at my happiest.

Now having graduated school, I found myself needing to fill that void. My sudden unemployment left me with a lot of time and cooking magazines on my hands. Experimenting at home: what else could be better! Having tried hundreds of recipes, I decided it was my turn to be creative.

While having a beer with a good friend, I was telling him some of the crazy things that have happened while I was doing my experimenting. Being the savvy guy he is he suggested I start a blog. Me being the person I am I say "who would want to read what I write". Then at that point I started to realize it doesn't matter who wants to read it, what matters is that I have something to say. Enter The Slanted Potato Blog, stage left. Thank you and enjoy the ride.

2 comments:

  1. you've always loved my mom's sandwiches and the little notes she left for me in the bag too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn! Hi, it's Alice! I can help you with Pies! I hate to bake, except for PIES! I have a recipe from my Nannie (Polish) for the crust ... much better than Pillsbury because it comes out flakey and soft and nice. Can I come over with my rolling pin?

    ReplyDelete